Thursday, June 26, 2008

Story is a Vehicle


“Story isn’t a flight from reality but a vehicle that carries us on our search for reality, our best effort to make sense out of the anarchy of existence.”
- McKee, Robert. Story: Substance, Structure, Style, and the Principals of Screenwriting. ReganBooks: New York, 1997. pg 12

This quotation speaks to the relevance of story in our lives. McKee agrees with me that Story goes well beyond a pastime. It is not simply something we do to escape reality, to keep ourselves busy, or to relax. Story helps us to understand things about our daily lives and the nature of our existence.

I’m not sure McKee would agree with me that Story is the nature of reality but I would love to propose my theory and evidence to him. Perhaps I will someday. I have wanted to take one of his courses for years ever since I first discovered this amazing book of his. It is a must-own for any writer. But I think it goes beyond writing too.

There is much more to Story than most people recognize.

No comments:

Post a Comment