Friday, March 7, 2008

Literature Helps Us

“. . . literature is healthful and maybe necessary as part of our overall response to the demands of life.” - Gold, Joseph. Read For Your Life: Literature as a Life Support System. Fitzhenry and Whiteside: Markham, 1990. pg xv

I think literature is necessary. Stories are important and one of the best ways to experience them is through literature. I think the characters and events in novels can teach us a lot about our lives and things that happen to us. We can learn from stories in ways that we can’t really learn in any other way.

Knowing what has happened to one character in a book might help me make a good decision if I am ever in a similar situation. As such, maybe it is not a stretch to say that literature can help us in a healthy and productive way.

This is a book that I mined for quotations. It ties into my theories on story. If you like some of the quotations here you might be interested in my series on Story I will be running on my main blog, Silent Cacophony starting next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment