Thursday, March 6, 2008

Secret Desires


“I remembered something Antonella from Nintendo once told me about her job at a day-care center, about storytelling to kids – about how stories the children liked best were the ones in which the characters fled their old planets amid great explosions, leaving everything behind them to start a new world.

And then I remembered this book-writing program my mom told me about from someone in her library. The big deal in book writing is to quickly establish at the very beginning what it is that the characters want

But I think that the books I really enjoy are the ones in which the characters realize, only in the end, what it was that they secretly wanted all along, but never even knew. And maybe this is what life is really like.”

- Coupland, Douglas. Microserfs. HarperCollins Books: Toronto, 1995. pg 102

No comments:

Post a Comment