Thursday, January 3, 2008

The entry that started it all!

I started a commonplace book a few years ago. In it, I collect quotations from things I have read or heard. I enjoy collecting these little tidbits of wisdom and information.

I have actually put DVDs on pause so that I could write down some of the dialogue. When I read a work of fiction, I use a piece of paper as a bookmark. When I come across a phrase or passage that I like, I write the page number down and the first few words of the sentence. This way it doesn’t really impede my reading. I read the entire book before I comb through it and type out the passages or tidbits of wisdom that I want to add to my commonplace book. If I own the book, I make underlines with a pencil.

Here is the entry that started it all. I caught it on one of those page-a-day calendars. This phrase just resonated with me and started my collection. So here it is entry number 1 of my commonplace book.

“Sometimes when I consider what tremendous consequences come from little things . . . I am tempted to think . . . there are no little things.” - Barton, Bruce. The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People Calendar. Aug 28/29,2004

4 comments:

  1. Hi Steve,

    Thanks! I'm glad you appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is awesome! I have been doing something similar, in sporadic fashion, for a while now. It's encouraging to see someone else doing it in such a well-organized fashion. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Greg,

    I haven't updated this site a while. I have been too focused on my main blog. I really should get back to this one and update weekly again. Thanks for the comment and the motivation to do so!

    ReplyDelete