Monday, January 14, 2008

You Have the Power



“About the only power you have is the power to discriminate. Living in a culture like this, you have to make choices, and search out what has the most authentic content or substance.” - Crumb, R. & Peter Poplaski. The R. Crumb Handbook. MQ Publications Ltd: London, 2005 pg 60.

In this day and age, discrimination has become a bad word. It is so intricately linked with race that the word can barely be used in other contexts anymore. In fact, until I came upon this quotation in my reading, I had never really thought about how I make choices everyday.

This quote is inspiring. I don’t think people realize the power that they have. I’m often amazed at the drivel that we are fed on the radio, television, and cinema. I carefully choose the types of media that I let entertain me. I don’t simply accept whatever is shovelled my way. We don’t need to either.

When you really think about it, discrimination is a powerful too. We need to be able to distinguish between two like objects. This is what this quotation is really about. We always have a choice in everything and we need to explore our options, to make distinctions, and to make choices based good judgement.

No comments:

Post a Comment