Friday, September 25, 2009

No Drink for Me

"No drink for me. I never drink unless I'm forced to. I'm not dependent on anything. Not wine and not psychotropics. Not nicotine or caffeine or sexine or lovine. To be cold turkey in this universe of anesthetized druggies can only be regarded as heroism. That's me: A heroine without a heroin habit."

- Monique Proulx. The Heart is an Involuntary Muscle novel translated by David Homel and Fred A. Reed.

What a beautifully written passage. I wonder if it is as poetic in the original French. I don't speak or read French so I am glad that this work has been translated.

I just happened onto this novel by chance as I glanced through the shelves at the public library. I'm over halfway through it now. I'm glad that I picked it up. I have already scribbled down four more passages that I will share with you soon.

Have a great weekend everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment