Monday, February 18, 2008

Games Teach


About “This Little Piggy”

“This is played on five toes with a tickle at the end for the noisy pig. Parents who play games like this with their children are conveying several important messages:

1. I choose to spend time playing with you.
2. I like your toes.
3. Toes can be pigs (metaphor).
4. Language can be fun, play.
5. Stories can be physically felt.
6. I am sharing a tradition of literature with you.
7. I enjoy your pleasure.
8. I respect your intelligence.
9. I like to be a baby too.
10. I like to say poems.”

- Gold, Joseph. Read For Your Life: Literature as a Life Support System. Fitzhenry and Whiteside: Markham, 1990. pg 154

Isn’t it amazing all the things that a little finger play with a baby can accomplish? I think that one of the most important things that any parent can spend on their child is time. This passage just goes to show that the little things in life can carry a lot of meaning and importance.

Happy Monday Everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment