Friday, July 18, 2008

It Takes People to Teach

“Christ adopted the teaching procedure of close personal contact because that remains the best method of teaching. Cold print separates precept from example, the style from the man; the greatest teachers convey their knowledge on a person-to-person level, and leave the books to the scribes.”
- Dennis Duffy. Canadian Writes: A Subseries: Marshall McLuhan. McClelland and Stewart Limited: Toronto, 1967 pg 24-25

I recently read a comment on ECD's blog that has stuck with me. Janice Thompson wrote about the material that teachers use or are required to teach. She wrote,

"...if the teacher him/herself doesn't appreciate it fully how does one pass this knowledge on to a child?"

I really like that. I think a teacher makes a huge impact on the lives of their students. The material taught may even be inconsequential in the grand scheme of things.

I have some fond memories of teachers and I don’t think it is because of anything they taught me in math or social studies. It goes way beyond the material of the course.

I have also seen studies that show the other side of this equation. Students will often refuse to learn or perform well for teachers that they do not like.

Definitely something for all teachers to keep in mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment