Thursday, August 28, 2008

Stories are Relics

“When, during the course of an interview for The New Yorker, I told the interviewer (Mark Singer) that I believed stories are found things, like fossils in the ground, he said he didn’t believe me. I replied that that was fine, as long as he believed that I believe it. And I do. Stories aren’t souvenir tee-shirts or GameBoys. Stories are relics, part of an undiscovered pre-existing world. The writer’s job is to use the tools in his or her toolbox to get as much of each one out of the ground intact as possible.”

- Stephen King. On Writing: A Memoir of the Craft. Scribiner: New York, 2000. pg 163-164.

Story is just there. What a great way to think of story. I think this ties in with my thesis that Story is the nature of reality.

I find that I discover stories as I write them too. I don’t outline. I just write and the story reveals itself. It always feels like I discover the story as I work. I don’t know how it works exactly but it works and we are not the only writers that have said this.

No comments:

Post a Comment