Friday, August 1, 2008

We Remember Everything!


“Their extraordinary and consistent detail, which was evoked each time the cortex was stimulated, and exceeded anything which could be recalled by memory, suggested to Panfield that the brain retained an almost perfect record of every lifetime’s experience.”
- Oliver Sacks. The Man who Mistook His Wife for a Hat, and Other Clinical Tales. HarperCollins: New York, 1985. pg 137

This reminds me of another quote from Douglas Coupland’s Microserfs.

“Karla believes that human beings remember everything. “All stimulation generates a memory – and these memories have to go somewhere. Our bodies are essentially diskettes,” she says.”

Okay, so if any of this is true, I think my diskettes have been erased or something. My memory stinks. I don’t know why but it just does. I’d like to believe that the memories are there somewhere. I think they’d have to be. Accessing them might be the real problem. Maybe there really is something to this idea.

No comments:

Post a Comment