Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Sometimes, We're All Hypocrites

If you have never seen the excellent show The Sopranos you are really missing out. 

I didn't think I'd like a television drama centred around the mob so I never paid any attention to it when it was on the air. However, I recently discovered it on DVD and have become a fan. It is a really well written show with some amazing characters and performances.

This scene is from a second season episode. Tony is the mob boss and has had a bad day. His teenage daughter seems to have withdrawn from him a bit. He's upset about it as well as a few other things. 

This scene is rather poignant and I like how it ends.  It's a great exchange between a father and a daughter. 

Tony: "Everything I do, and everything I've done, and everything I will do, it's all for you and your mother. You know that?"

Meadow: "I think you should go to bed."

Tony: "I tell people you're like your mother but you're all me. Nothing gets by you. And I know you think I'm a hypocrite-"

Meadow: "I'm going to bed." (leaves table)

Tony: "Yeah alright. Go ahead." (plays with his glass)

Meadow: "Dad, why don't you go to bed?"

Tony: "I'm gonna finish my drink."

Meadow: "Good night."

Tony: "Good night baby."

Meadow: "Sometimes, we're all hypocrites."

- Sopranos Season 2: Episode 10

I like how the daughter says the exact right thing here. She doesn't have to agree with her dad or what he does but she shows him that she understands.  It's exactly what he needed at that moment. 

That is why I love that scene and this series. 

So far I've only seen the first two seasons. I've borrowed them from the public library. I can't wait to make my way through all of the episodes. Great television!

No comments:

Post a Comment